* Your NICU kid is 14, and you're still talking about his or her "Adjusted Age".
* Your addicted to acronyms. *NICU, CPAAP, RSV…*
* You get all weepy when you see a normal, picture perfect delivery on TV.
* You refer to NICU procedures with the skill of a NICU nurse.
* You get a little sad when you pass a hospital.
* You can't help but tell your NICU story.
* You realize it's possible to get LESS sleep than moms of full term babies because of all the late night worrying.
* You see a picture of a baby with the NICU elephant nose and go, "Awwww!!"
* You actually have to buy doll clothes just so your NICU baby will have clothes that fit!
* You have a special box of NICU souvenirs you keep meaning to scrapbook.
* You know the name of every baby in the NICU & who their nurse is for that day.
* The different personalities of the nurses at the NICU no longer get under your skin...you've learned how to react to each one accordingly.
* You get sentimental & worried when you hear beeping sounds.
* You could check your NICU baby's vital signs faster than any health care professional you've met so far.
* You keep hand sanitizer in every room of your house & you ask people to use it before coming near your NICU baby.
* You still scrub your hands like a surgeon.
* Your only concern every day is when it's time for the "hands on" session with your baby, & you turn into Godzilla when you find out that your baby's hands on procedures were completed before you got there.
* You're an expert on calming your parents down because a NICU nurse couldn't tell them personal information on their own grandbaby. "]
* You know that "kangaroo care" isn't a kid's game, in fact-it's your most FAVORITE time of the day, the reason you get out of bed…
* You no longer need an alarm clock to wake you up at midnight every night-that's when you call to check on your NICU baby's weight!
* To everyone else, an ounce is just a measurement, but to you an ounce is more valuable than gold-you praise God for every one your NICU baby gains.
* 'Rooming in' isn't something you do with your friends over the weekend for fun-it's one of the happiest days of your life.
* Your heart skips a beat when the nurse puts you on hold before telling you your baby's daily report because you fear that may mean bad news.
* Your NICU baby is over a year old & you still feel like you need to ask someone before you hold her.
* The March of Dimes becomes the most important fund raiser to you.
* You know what Micro-Preemie means & you thank God every day that your NICU baby wasn't one; being a mother to a regular preemie was hard enough.
* Your NICU baby's home coming is THE happiest day of your life *so far*
*The hospital smell that most people hate brings tears to your eyes because it reminds you of your NICU experience.
* You bring your NICU baby home from the hospital with a new found appreciation for her doctors & nurses…God used them to save your baby's life.
I had found this on a mom's to multiples page on myspace and just wanted to post it here to have in the future for the twins scrapbooks. All of these things listed are so true for me. Even though it has been 5 months I can still feel the NICU (for those unfamiliar with the term it is Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) experience like it was yesterday. I am so glad that my babies are getting so big and so strong! I am truly blessed! Have a good evening! TTFN!